At Palterton Primary School we aim to develop and encourage children’s natural creativity so that they can become confident and enthusiastic artists. We want our children to talk enthusiastically about, and demonstrate their knowledge, skills, understanding and experience of, a broad range of high quality arts and cultural provision.
Art Intent - What is Art for?
The intent of our arts curriculum is:
- To create a whole school learning environment that inspires the children to be creative and aspire to be the best they can be.
- To help children explore the world first hand using their senses and experimentation to gain knowledge and understanding of the world in which they live.
- To allow the children to feel proud of their artistic achievements and for our school to project a creative environment that is awe inspiring to our children and community.
- To enable children to express their ideas, feelings, thoughts and experiences in a visual form and promote enjoyment in all art activities.
- To develop their ability to use a sketchbook as a ‘notebook’ for ideas and observations.
- To teach children to look carefully at images and artefacts from the past, the present and from other cultures.
- To help children communicate confidently and develop aesthetic judgements applied to their own work, to the work of others and to the world around them.
- To develop skills and knowledge of materials so that ideas can be generated, undertaken and completed with success.
- To use increasingly expressive language and art specific vocabulary to respond to their own work and that of others.
- To give all pupils an opportunity to develop their I.C.T. skills using various graphics software packages.
What will children learn in art?
In KS1 and KS2 the children will follow a two year cycle, A and B.
We are currently working towards The Arts Mark with the Arts Council England.
Back Lane, Chesterfield, Derbyshire S44 6UN